Sunday, December 19, 2004

Deception



“Well, what do you think is wrong with you?”

“I don’t know doc”

“Well, you say that you get upset because you drink too much. That your marriage is in ruins because of it and that you can’t function every day, right?”

“Well, yes”

“So what’s your impression of what’s happening?”

“Maybe, I drink too much”

“Why do you drink?”

“Well…When I drink there’s this feeling that comes over me, this release. I’m not the same person; I’m happier, more easygoing and more fun. I really love that person, that me who drinks.”

“Sounds like fun. Why in the world would you want to stop?”

“I’m not sure that I do”, “Do you think that my problems with my family and my job come from my drinking?”

“Sounds like it does”

“But I love drinking”

“Then you should keep doing it”

“But it’s destroying my life”

“That’s also true. There are consequences to everything. Are you ready to stop drinking?”

Long pause.

“No”

The easiest person to deceive is one’s own self
Edward Bulwer-Lytton, writer