Saturday, April 16, 2005

We’re a Team

Our first month with Future Intern has been one of the most amazing, frightening, difficult and rewarding experiences of our life. I can honestly say that I love this little girl more than I ever imagined. I think that it’s truly amazing, this feeling, a love for something that does not give back and only demands more. Yet the love is unconditional and ever open handed. Take what you please.

In many ways I think we had no idea what to expect. It hit us like a train wreck and maimed us groggy. Sleepless nights, crankiness, horrible emotions of inadequacy, of being unable to cope with a small baby, one small baby. I care for twenty critically ill patients and one small baby had me demoralized. The winds of change in this house hit us like a tornado of chaos.

But we emerge one month later stronger than ever. We have conquered the first battle and made an ally. For now, we are better parents, we understand future interns and most of her future intern demands. Future intern is sometimes hungry, sometimes tired, sometimes she has something in her diaper and sometimes she is just damned cranky. But ohhhhhhh….Awesome!

She is going to make one awesome Future Intern.